LIFEGUARD INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATION
- The American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor course trains instructor candidates to teach American Red Cross Lifeguarding, Shallow Water Lifeguarding, Aquatic Attraction Lifeguarding, Waterfront Skills, Waterpark Skills, First Aid, CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers, Administering Emergency Oxygen and Bloodborne Pathogens.
- This course prepares instructor candidates to use course and presentation materials, conduct training sessions and evaluate the progress of candidates in a professional-level course.
- Be at least 17 years old
- Possess a current Red Cross certification in Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED
- Complete the online portion of the Lifeguarding Instructor course thru the Red Cross learning center (before the first day of class)
- Pass two rescue skill scenarios that test lifeguarding and CPR (on the first day of class)
- Complete the required online course
- Attend and participate in all class sessions and activities
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills
- Successfully pass final written exam with a minimum grade of 80%
- Upon successful completion of the Lifeguarding Instructor class, Instructor candidates will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor certification valid for 2 years
|Register||Apr 18 & 19, 2020||7:30am-6:30pm||$389||Brea, CA 92620|
|Register||May 2 & 3, 2020||7:30am-6:30pm||$389||Brea, CA 92620|
|Register||May 30 & 31, 2020||7:30am-6:30pm||$389||Brea, CA 92620|
|Lifeguard Instructor Class FAQs
- Proof that you are at least 17 years old
- Current (valid) Red Cross Lifeguard certificates
- Completed Registration Form
- Online Course completion report
- Lifeguard Instructor Manual (hard copy)
- Lifeguarding Manual (digital or hard copy)
- Study Guide (printed copy)
- Instructor Candidate Practice Teaching Workbook (printed copy)
- Lifeguarding Course Presentation (downloaded to a laptop)
- A swim suit, towel, and dry comfortable clothes
- Adult and Infant CPR pocket masks (may be purchased at class for $25/set)
- Hip pack (fanny pack)
Links to the course materials will be emailed to you once you register for a class.
- The certificate will be emailed to you from the Red Cross with in 5 business days after completing the class (please check your spam folder if you do not get the email).
- If you do not receive an email visit redcross.org/getcertificate and enter your email address.
- If you rare unable to locate your certificate please call 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-2767) and select the prompts for Health and Safety Training.
Lifeguard Instructors can teach the following Red Cross courses. Note: Basic level certification is required before an LGI can teach some courses/modules.
Shallow Water Lifeguarding
Waterfront Skills Module
Waterpark Skills Module
Water Safety Courses
Basic Water Rescue
Safety Training for Swim Coaches
Water Safety Presentations
CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers
Lay responder First Aid/CPR/AED
First Aid Add-on Training Modules
Administering Emergency Oxygen
Bloodborne Pathogens Training
Asthma Inhaler Training
Anaphylaxis and Epinephrine Auto-Injector Training
Class Transfers – The LGI class transfer fee is $150 and registered participants are required to submit a Transfer Request online at least 72 hours prior to the original class date. Training must be completed within 60 days of the original class date. Only (1) transfer per registration.
No Refunds – Training/class fees are nonrefundable and No refunds will be issued once fees have been submitted. In the event that a participant is unable to pass the prerequisites or final exams the participant may transfer to a class at a later date (if available). If a participant is absent from any scheduled class days or times, the participant will not be offered a transfer or refund of any kind.
No Visitors – Only registered participants are allowed on the pool deck or in the classrooms during training. All visitors including parents must wait in the parking lot.
Cancelled Classes – Safe Swim reserves the right to cancel classes as needed. In the event a class is canceled registered participants will be offered a transfer to a different class free of charge or a full refund of the training deposit.