- The lifeguard training provides entry-level participants the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until EMS personnel take over.
- The lifeguard class includes comprehensive training in water rescues, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and first aid skills.
- 15 years & older
- Complete the required Online Course before the first day of class.
- Pass the following swim test on the day of class:
1. 300-yard swim using front crawl or breaststroke2. 2-minute tread using legs only3. Retrieve a 10-lb dive weight from 7 ft deep, surface and swim 20 yds with the weight, using legs only and exit the pool without using a ladder within 100 seconds
- Complete the required online Lifeguarding course.
- Attend and participate in all class sessions and activities.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills.
- Pass the final skills scenarios.
- Successfully pass final written exam with a minimum grade of 80%.
- Upon successful completion of the lifeguarding class, participants will receive American Red Cross Lifeguarding, First Aid and CPR/AED certificate valid for 2 years.
|Registration||Class Date||Day/Time||Fee||Class Location|
|Register||Feb 15 & 16, 2020||Sat & Sun 8:00AM-6:00PM||$159||Irvine, CA 92620|
|Register||Apr 18 & 19, 2020||Sat & Sun 8:00AM-6:00PM||$159||Brea, CA 92821|
|Register||Apr 25 & 26, 2020||Sat & Sun 8:00AM-6:00PM||$159||Brea, CA 92821|
|Register||May 2 & 3, 2020||Sat & Sun 8:00AM-6:00PM||$159||Brea, CA 92821|
|Register||May 23 & 24, 2020||Sat & Sun 8:00AM-6:00PM||$159||Brea, CA 92821|
|Register||May 30 & 31, 2020||Sat & Sun 8:00AM-6:00PM||$159||Brea, CA 92821|
|Lifeguard Class FAQ’s
- The certificate will be emailed to you from the Red Cross with in 5 business days after completing the class (please check your spam folder if you do not get the email).
- If you do not receive an email visit redcross.org/getcertificate and enter your email address.
- If you rare unable to locate your certificate please call 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-2767) and select the prompts for Health and Safety Training.
How old do I have to be to attending Lifeguard Training? 15 years older on the last class date.
To become a lifeguard, do I have to have to be a perfect swimmer? No. You must however be able to swim 300 yards (12 lengths of a 25 yard pool) without stopping using front crawl or breaststroke, tread water for 2 minutes using legs only, and retrieve a 10-lb weight from 7 feet deep and swim 20 yards with the weight, using legs only and exit the water without using a ladder or steps within 1 minute 40 seconds. In general the most difficult part of the swim test is the brick and we STRONGLY suggest that you practice with a 10-lb hand weight before you take training.
What if I can not pass the swim test? If you are unable to pass any of the tests you may not continue with the class, however you can transfer to a future class if available.
What if I already have CPR and/or First Aid certification do I need to attend that part of the class? Yes, none of the training is optional and the Red Cross does not separate the certifications.
Can I attend one day of training in one session and another day of training in a different session? No. For the continuity of training you may not break up sessions.
Do I have to complete the online course before training? Yes. The online course is required.
Is there a Lunch Break? Yes, there will be a 1 hour lunch break each day of training with several near by restaurants with in 5 minute walking distance.
Class Transfers – The class transfer fee is $59 and registered participants are required to submit a Transfer Request online at least 48 hours prior to the original class date. Training must be completed within 60 days of the original class date.
No Refunds – Training deposits are nonrefundable and No refunds will be issued once course fees have been submitted. In the event that a participant is unable to pass the prerequisites or final exams the participant may transfer to a class at a later date (if available). If a participant is absent from any scheduled class days or times, the participant will not be offered a transfer or refund of any kind.
No Visitors – Only registered participants are allowed on the pool deck or in the classrooms during training. All visitors including parents must wait in the parking lot.
Cancelled Classes – Safe Swim reserves the right to cancel classes as needed. In the event a class is canceled registered participants will be offered a transfer to a different class free of charge or a full refund of the training deposit.
Looking for a Lifeguard job?
Check out our current employment opportunities.
Interviews are available during training; please see a Safe Swim representative during training for more details