LIFEGUARD INSTRUCTOR RE-ENTRY
Former American Red Cross Lifeguarding instructors whose certifications expired no more than 2 years before the beginning of the Instructor Crossover/Re-Entry Bridge course and current Lifeguarding instructors from other organizations (see list below) are eligible to participate in the Lifeguarding Instructor Crossover/Re-Entry Bridge course. Instructors whose authorizations were suspended or withdrawn for any reason are not eligible to participate in the Lifeguarding Instructor Crossover/Re-Entry Bridge course.
Attendance and successful completion of a crossover/re-entry bridge course will result in American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor certification. There is no crossover/re-entry bridge course option for instructor trainer certification. All Instructor trainer candidates, including those from other organizations and expire American Red Cross instructor trainers, must attend and successfully complete an Instructor Trainer Academy to achieve an IT certification.
To be eligible for the Lifeguarding Instructor Crossover/Re-Entry Bridge course, the prospective instructor candidate must:
- Be at least 19 years old on or before the last scheduled class
- Possess a current basic-level American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED certification or equivalent.
- Possess one of the following credentials:
- Evidence of former American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor certification–expired by no more than 2 years (available as an Instructor Transcript from the American Red Cross learning center)
- Evidence of current external credentials showing that the individual successfully completed a formalized lifeguarding instructor course with one of the following organizations:
- Canadian Red Cross–Lifeguarding Instructor
- YMCA–Lifeguarding Instructor
- International Pool and Waterpark Lifeguard Training Program (Ellis & Associates)–Lifeguard instructor
- Boy Scouts of America (BSA)–either Aquatics instructor or BSA Lifeguard instructor
- Starfish Aquatics Institute – StarGuard Instructor
- Lifesaving Society of Canada–Lifesaving Instructor
- Royal Life Saving Society of the United Kingdom–Lifesaving Instructor
- United States Lifesaving Association–Open Water Lifeguard Instructor
- Successfully completed the online Session for the Lifeguarding Instructor course (online Introduction to the Lifeguarding Instructor course)
- Obtain the Lifeguarding Instructor’s Manual and Lifeguarding Manual before the instructor course
- Successfully complete the Lifeguarding Instructor course precourse session
- 2 year American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor certification
- 2017 Lifeguarding Instructor Bulletin (page 10)
|Register||Apr 18, 2020||7am-7pm||$259||Brea, CA 92620|
|Register||May 2, 2020||7am-7pm||$259||Brea, CA 92620|
|Register||May 30, 2020||7am-7pm||$259||Brea, CA 92620|
|Lifeguard Instructor Class FAQs
- Proof that you are at least 19 years old
- Current (valid) American Red Cross Lifeguard certificates
- Proof of American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor certification (expired by no more than 2 years)
- Completed Registration Form
- Online Course completion report
- Lifeguard Instructor Manual (hard copy)
- Lifeguarding Manual (digital or hard copy)
- Study Guide (printed copy)
- Instructor Candidate Practice Teaching Workbook (printed copy)
- Lifeguarding Course Presentation (downloaded to a laptop)
- A swim suit, towel, and dry comfortable clothes
- Adult and Infant CPR pocket masks (may be purchased at class for $25/set)
- Hip pack (fanny pack)
Links to the course materials will be emailed to you once you register for a class.
- The certificate will be emailed to you from the Red Cross with in 5 business days after completing the class (please check your spam folder if you do not get the email).
- If you do not receive an email visit redcross.org/getcertificate and enter your email address.
- If you rare unable to locate your certificate please call 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-2767) and select the prompts for Health and Safety Training.
Class Transfers – The LGI Crossover/Re-Entry class transfer fee is $150 and registered participants are required to submit a Transfer Request online at least 72 hours prior to the original class date. Training must be completed within 60 days of the original class date. Only (1) transfer per registration.
No Refunds – Training/class fees are nonrefundable and No refunds will be issued once fees have been submitted. In the event that a participant is unable to pass the prerequisites or final exams the participant may transfer to a class at a later date (if available). If a participant is absent from any scheduled class days or times, the participant will not be offered a transfer or refund of any kind.
No Visitors – Only registered participants are allowed on the pool deck or in the classrooms during training. All visitors including parents must wait in the parking lot.
Cancelled Classes – Safe Swim reserves the right to cancel classes as needed. In the event a class is canceled registered participants will be offered a transfer to a different class free of charge or a full refund of the training deposit.