LIFEGUARD INSTRUCTOR RE-ENTRY
Former American Red Cross Lifeguarding instructors whose certifications expired no more than 2 years before the beginning of the Instructor Crossover/Re-Entry Bridge course and current Lifeguarding instructors from other organizations (see list below) are eligible to participate in the Lifeguarding Instructor Crossover/Re-Entry Bridge course. Instructors whose authorizations were suspended or withdrawn for any reason are not eligible to participate in the Lifeguarding Instructor Crossover/Re-Entry Bridge course.
Attendance and successful completion of a crossover/re-entry bridge course will result in American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor certification. There is no crossover/re-entry bridge course option for instructor trainer certification. All Instructor trainer candidates, including those from other organizations and expire American Red Cross instructor trainers, must attend and successfully complete an Instructor Trainer Academy to achieve an IT certification.
To be eligible for the Lifeguarding Instructor Crossover/Re-Entry Bridge course, the prospective instructor candidate must:
- Be at least 19 years old on or before the last scheduled class
- Possess a current basic-level American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED certification or equivalent.
- Possess one of the following credentials:
- Evidence of former American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor certification–expired by no more than 2 years (available as an Instructor Transcript from the American Red Cross learning center)
- Evidence of current external credentials showing that the individual successfully completed a formalized lifeguarding instructor course with one of the following organizations:
- Canadian Red Cross–Lifeguarding Instructor
- YMCA–Lifeguarding Instructor
- International Pool and Waterpark Lifeguard Training Program (Ellis & Associates)–Lifeguard instructor
- Boy Scouts of America (BSA)–either Aquatics instructor or BSA Lifeguard instructor
- Starfish Aquatics Institute – StarGuard Instructor
- Lifesaving Society of Canada–Lifesaving Instructor
- Royal Life Saving Society of the United Kingdom–Lifesaving Instructor
- United States Lifesaving Association–Open Water Lifeguard Instructor
- Successfully completed the online Session for the Lifeguarding Instructor course (online Introduction to the Lifeguarding Instructor course)
- Obtain the Lifeguarding Instructor’s Manual and Lifeguarding Manual before the instructor course
- Successfully complete the Lifeguarding Instructor course precourse session
- 2 year American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor certification
- 2017 Lifeguarding Instructor Bulletin (page 10)
|Register||Apr 13, 2019||7am-7pm||$225||Irvine, CA 92620|
|Register||May 11, 2019||7am-7pm||$225||Irvine, CA 92620|
|Register||Jun 1, 2019||7am-7pm||$225||Irvine, CA 92620|
|Register||Aug 17, 2019||7am-7pm||$225||Irvine, CA 92620|
|Register||Oct 12, 2019||7am-7pm||$225||Irvine, CA 92620|
|Register||Dec 7, 2019||7am-7pm||$225||Irvine, CA 92620|
|Lifeguard Instructor Class FAQs
- Proof that you are at least 19 years old
- Current (valid) American Red Cross Lifeguard certificates
- Proof of American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor certification (expired by no more than 2 years)
- Completed Registration Form
- Online Course completion report
- Lifeguard Instructor Manual (hard copy)
- Lifeguarding Manual (digital or hard copy)
- Study Guide (printed copy)
- Instructor Candidate Practice Teaching Workbook (printed copy)
- Lifeguarding Course Presentation (downloaded to a laptop)
- A swim suit, towel, and dry comfortable clothes
- Adult and Infant CPR pocket masks (may be purchased at class for $25/set)
- Hip pack (fanny pack)
Links to the course materials will be emailed to you once you register for a class.
Once the Red Cross has approved the course record, participants will be able to print their certification thru the Red Cross Learning Center.
To print your certification follow these steps:
- Go to https://classes.redcross.org
- Enter your username and password (the same user name and password you sign up for the online course)
- Click “My Learning” tab (top navigation)
- Click “My Transcript” under My Learning (left navigation)
- Set the Completion after and before dates accordingly; and click the “Search” button
- Click “Print Certificate of Completion” under Completion Status next to course you took
- A digital certificate will appear in a new window, click “Print”
If you require a wallet size certificate card or you need assistance logging in to your account or printing your certification, please contact the American Red Cross Training Support Center at 1-800-RED-CROSS. Additionally, if you ever lose your certification, you can log on and reprint it from your account.
Note: Safe Swim is unable to reset your password, print your certificate or access your account, please contact the Red Cross for assistance.
Print Training Receipt – PDF
Note: To customize your class receipt, you will need Adobe Reader and input the fields as they pertain to the course(s) you completed.
Lifeguard Instructors can teach the following Red Cross courses. Note: Basic level certification is required before an LGI can teach some courses/modules.
Shallow Water Lifeguarding
Waterfront Skills Module
Waterpark Skills Module
Water Safety Courses
Basic Water Rescue
Safety Training for Swim Coaches
Water Safety Presentations
CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers
Lay responder First Aid/CPR/AED
First Aid Add-on Training Modules
Administering Emergency Oxygen
Bloodborne Pathogens Training
Asthma Inhaler Training
Anaphylaxis and Epinephrine Auto-Injector Training
Class Transfers – The LGI Crossover/Re-Entry class transfer fee is $150 and registered participants are required to submit a Transfer Request online at least 72 hours prior to the original class date. Training must be completed within 60 days of the original class date. Only (1) transfer per registration.
No Refunds – Training/class fees are nonrefundable and No refunds will be issued once fees have been submitted. In the event that a participant is unable to pass the prerequisites or final exams the participant may transfer to a class at a later date (if available). If a participant is absent from any scheduled class days or times, the participant will not be offered a transfer or refund of any kind.
No Visitors – Only registered participants are allowed on the pool deck or in the classrooms during training. All visitors including parents must wait in the parking lot.
Cancelled Classes – Safe Swim reserves the right to cancel classes as needed. In the event a class is canceled registered participants will be offered a transfer to a different class free of charge or a full refund of the training deposit.