WSI Certification – Candidate Page
Please complete each step in the order listed and follow all instructions to prepare for the WSI class.
Prior to the in-class dates, all WSI participants must complete an online course thru the Red Cross Learning Center. The Red Cross fee for the online course is $35 which in addition to the class fee.
Note: Give yourself several days to work on the online course in-case you experience any problems loading the course. Complete rounds 1-6 of the online course by the first class day and finish rounds 7-9 by the start of class on Sunday.
Steps to complete the online course
- For best results use Chrome browser, disable pop-up blockers and enable Flash Player in your browser settings.
- Click the link below that corresponds with your correct class dates (make sure you select the correct class link). If the link does not open please copy and paste the URL in your web browser.
Note: Make sure you select the online course link for the class dates you are registered for. We will not be able to certify you if you use the wrong link.
- Create an account for the Red Cross Learning Center or log in to your existing account.
- Once you are logged in and on the Create Order page, you will see the course has been added to your cart. Click “Confirm”.
- Select “Credit Card” as the method of payment, enter your credit card information and click “Submit” at the bottom of the page.
You are now enrolled in the online course.
- You may access the online course by clicking “My Learning” (upper left tab), and on the My Enrollments page you will see the course listed and to the far right under Actions click the “Launch” link.
- A new window will appear. Click on the link to launch the online course. If the new window remains blank and the program does not launch see the trouble shooting tips below.
- Complete rounds 1-6 of the online course by the first class day and finish rounds 7-9 by the start of class on Sunday. The entire online course takes approx 6-7 hours to complete; you may stop at any point in the course and pick up where you left off at a later time.
- When finished, print the certificate of completion and bring it to the first class meeting.
Note: You can access the Red Cross Learning center at https://classes.redcross.org. If you already have a Red Cross account, enter your username and password to log-in. If you cannot remember your username and password, contact the Red Cross Training Support Center at 1-800-RED-CROSS.
Trouble Shooting Tips
If the program does not load and the pop-up window remains blank try these steps:
- Google Chrome
After you click Launch and the pop-up window opens, Click the shield icon in the right hand corner by the address bar and then click load unsafe scripts.
After you click Launch and the pop-up window opens, Click the little “I” in the circle next to the lock icon in the left hand corner by the address bar and then click the arrow on the right of classes.redcross.org and then allow all content (secure and un-secure).
The program will not run in Safari. Use one of the other browsers listed above.
Have questions or need help?
Please call our office at 949-420-0804 during business hours Mon-Fri 9am-5pm, if we do not answer (we are most likely teaching a class) so please leave a voicemail and we will return your call as soon as possible. PLEASE BE PATIENT, WE WILL RETURN YOUR CALL!
Due to technical errors, the orientation to the Swimming & Water Safety program will be completed during the WSI class.
- Print the WSI Class Forms
- Bring the completed registration form and test answer key with you to the first class.
Participants are required to download, print or purchase the two main manuals for the WSI course and bring both manuals to class in either digital format on a laptop, iPad or tablet, or printed hard copy. Additionally, participants must print the Stroke Performance Charts and bring those to class as well.
To download or print the manuals, click each link below:
Participants may purchase the Water Safety Instructor’s Manual and the Swimming and Water Safety Manual thru the Red Cross Store.
- Print the WSI Class Study Guide and bring it to class with you.
After Class Info
Once the Red Cross has approved the course record, participants will be able to print their certification thru the Red Cross Learning Center.
To print your certification follow these steps:
- Go to https://classes.redcross.org
- Enter your username and password (the same user name and password you sign up for the online course)
- Click “My Learning” tab (top navigation)
- Click “My Transcript” under My Learning (left navigation)
- Set the Completion after and before dates accordingly; and click the “Search” button
- Click “Print Certificate of Completion” under Completion Status next to course you took
- A digital certificate will appear in a new window, click “Print”
If you require a wallet size certificate card or you need assistance logging in to your account or printing your certification, please contact the American Red Cross Training Support Center at 1-800-RED-CROSS. Additionally, if you ever lose your certification, you can log on and reprint it from your account.
Note: Safe Swim is unable to reset your password, print your certificate or access your account, please contact the Red Cross for assistance.
Instructors Corner for WSI Candidates (account not required) — This site has many resources for WSI candidates including skill sheets, games, lesson plans, etc.
Instructors Corner for Instructors (account required) — This site gives full access to materials for Red Cross instructors.
Red Cross Store — This site has Red Cross books and equipment for sale.
All WSI videos are available on Instructor’s Corner in the Aquatics > Learn-to-Swim section.