WSI Certification – Candidate Page
Please complete each step in the order listed and follow all instructions to prepare for the WSI class.
Prior to the in-class date, all WSI candidates must complete an online Introduction to the Water Safety Instructor course thru the Red Cross Learning Center.
You will receive a separate email from the Red Cross with information to complete the online portion of the class. Please read the email carefully and follow the link in the email to complete the online portion before the classroom session.
To LOGIN to the Learning Center for the first time:
- Go to: https://www.redcrosslearningcenter.org/
- Click ‘LOGIN’ in the top right corner
- Click ‘Forgot your password? Click here.’
- Enter you email in the Username field
- Click ‘Send Password reset Email’ button
- Check your email and follow the password reset instructions
- Login to the learning center and the online course will appear on your homepage under ‘Classes I’m Taking’
Note: If you signed up for the class last minute and did not receive the online course information, please reply to your registration confirmation email or call our office immediately. Otherwise, we will assist you at the start of the classroom session.
Have questions or need help?
Please call our office at 949-420-0804 during business hours Mon-Fri 9am-5pm, if we do not answer (we are most likely teaching a class) so please leave a voicemail and we will return your call as soon as possible. PLEASE BE PATIENT, WE WILL RETURN YOUR CALL!
Due to technical errors, the orientation to the Swimming & Water Safety program will be completed during the WSI class.
- Print the WSI Class Forms
- Bring the completed registration form and test answer key with you to the first class.
Participants are required to download, print or purchase the two main manuals for the WSI course and bring both manuals to class in either digital format on a laptop, iPad or tablet, or printed hard copy. Additionally, participants must print the Stroke Performance Charts and bring those to class as well.
To download or print the manuals, click each link below:
Participants may purchase the Water Safety Instructor’s Manual and the Swimming and Water Safety Manual thru the Red Cross Store.
- Print the WSI Class Study Guide and bring it to class with you.
After Class Info
Digital certificates can be viewed, printed or shared online and can be accessed anytime through your Red Cross Account. Each certificate includes a unique ID and a QR code which meets employment requirements and allows employers to easily confirm your certificate is valid.
To Access Your Certificate:
- You should receive an email from the Red Cross after your class, with a link to your digital certificate.
- If you do not receive this email, please check your Spam or Junk folders.
- If you are unable to locate your certificate email visit https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/digital-certificate
- Enter your email address (make sure it is the same email that you register for the class with).
- Click Find and you will be directed to your digital certificate.
- From here you can print, download and share as needed.
Please note that certificates are available online within 5 business days of class completion. Certificate records are kept for 3 years. Should you require the link to your digital certificate or a printed certificate sent from the American Red Cross, contact 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) and select the prompts for Health and Safety Training.
Instructors Corner for WSI Candidates (account not required) — This site has many resources for WSI candidates including skill sheets, games, lesson plans, etc.
Instructors Corner for Instructors (account required) — This site gives full access to materials for Red Cross instructors.
Red Cross Store — This site has Red Cross books and equipment for sale.
All WSI videos are available on Instructor’s Corner in the Aquatics > Learn-to-Swim section.